These enhanced computer generated images were created by the author from original early albumen paper photographs.
They are some of the earliest photographs ever taken of Rickmansworth and the buildings in the surrounding district.
Click image to view in greater detail. Higher resolution copies are available on request.
The photographs were originally taken in 1870 by Henri Victor Lemenager of Bushey, except for the photographs of
Church Street, Chalfont House, The Cedars, Basing House, Milton's Cottage and the Baptist Church, which were taken
by Jabez Croft of Rickmansworth around the same time.
There are two photographs of Rickmansworth, taken from Solomon's Hill, before the arrival of the railway
at this location; each taken from slightly different vantage points and about an hour apart.
From the locality are photographs of Glen-Chess Loudwater, The Bury Rickmansworth, Church Street Rickmansworth,
Basing House Rickmansworth, Park House Rickmansworth, The Cedars Chorleywood,
Money Hill House, Rickmansworth Baptist Church, Rickmansworth Lodge, The Grove and Cassiobury Park, Watford,
Moor Park House and the Temple within the Park, Mill End, Harefield Church, Chalfont House at Chalfont St.Peter,
Milton's Cottage in Chalfont St.Giles, Jordans Meeting House and Chenies' Mausoleum together with
the First Duke of Bedford's Monument. The Cedars was newly built in 1865.
All these buildings still exist except for Cassiobury House,
Rickmansworth Park House and Money Hill House.