Denis Lucey: Royal Navy - published by Norman Lucey
..Denis Lucey: Royal Navy
This webpage provides information on Denis (Dennis) Lucey (1834-1872) of the Royal Navy and the thirteen ships
he served on over a career of 23 years.
SHIP 1 1849-50
HMS Agincourt, a 74-gun 1747 ton third rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 19 March 1817 at Plymouth. She was placed on harbour service in 1848, and sold out of the Navy in 1884. On 20 Dec 1848 noted as a Depot Ship of Ordinary, Devonport.
HMS Alecto, a 796 ton wood paddle sloop launched in 1839 and broken up in 1865. On 30 August 1851 she was off the coast of Africa.
HMS Eurydice, a 24-gun 921 ton sixth rate launched in 1843. She became a training ship in 1861, and foundered off the Isle of Wight in 1878. Following 27 Mar 1854, when war was declared, the Eurydice was despatched to the White Sea, where a number of operations were carried out. Early Autumn 1854 she returned to England.
HMS Cossack. This ship was previously the Russian ship Witjas, a wood screw corvette captured in 1854 and sold in 1875. This was the second ship to be named Cossack, built originally by Pitcher of Northfleet for the Russian Navy, but on 5th April 1854 she was seized by the British Admiralty at her launching when Britain and Russia declared war on each other. She served in the Baltic with distinction and earned a medal for her part in the bombardment of Sveaborg. The ship had 21 guns and 1965 ton displacement. This ship was commanded (from commissioning at Chatham) by Captain Edward Gennys Fanshawe, in the Baltic during the Russian War. Then Commanded (until paying off at Sheerness) by Captain James Horsford Cockburn, also in the Baltic during the Russian War and then (July 1856) to North America and West Indies (mainly Greytown, Nicaragua).
The following was reported from the Cossack during the Crimean war and is known as the Massacre at Hango:-
H.M.S. COSSACK, OFF CRONSTADT 7th - At 2 p.m. the Porcupine arrived with the Teazer and a collier in tow; at 3 p.m. the Mercator parted company; at 7.30 p.m. the Lightning joined the fleet from Nargen, bringing despatches for Admiral Dundas from the Cossack cruizing off Hango-head. She brings also news of a most melancholy and atrocious outrage committed by some Russian troops upon a boat which endeavoured to land under a flag of truce, with the charitable intention of setting 10 prisoners at liberty. How this kindness was received will be seen by the following narrative:-
HMS Pelorus was built at Devonport of 2,330 ton displacement; a 21 gun corvette launched on 5 February 1857 from the Devonport dockyard. It was captained at first by Frederick Beauchamp Paget Seymour, then by Henry Boys, and later William Henry Haswell. It was one of the first vessels of the Navy to possess a gun-sight. The ship was part of a squadron after the Indian Rebellion of 1857 and was sent to the China Station during the Second Opium War, leaving in May 1859 for the Australian Station.
HMS Fisgard was a 46-gun fifth rate Leda class frigate of the Royal Navy. She spent sixty years in service on a variety of duties. In 1855 she became Guardship at Woolwich. On 20 December 1858 Fisgard became the flagship of Commodore James Robert Drummond, the commander-in-chief at Woolwich.
HMS Impregnable was a 98-gun second rate three-decker ship of the line launched on 1 August 1810 at Chatham. Purportedly as originally built she was a near copy of HMS Victory. She saw service in the Mediterranean until May 1843, when she was laid up with the Reserve Fleet at Devonport.
HMS St Jean d'Acre was the Royal Navy's first 101 gun screw two-decker line-of-battle ship of 3199 tons. She served in the Crimean War. Completed for sea on 20 September 1853, her second commission was from 4 February 1859 to 13 September 1861. St Jean d'Acre served in the Channel and the Mediterranean. She was initially commanded by Captain Thomas Pickering Thompson, until he was invalided out, and Captain Charles Gilbert John Brydone Elliot took command on 26 September 1860. In 1860 she was in Lisbon, on 29 Jul 1861 ordered from Gibraltar to Malta, on 23 Aug 1861 left Gibraltar for Tangiers and Cadiz and on 24 Aug 1861 sailed for Plymouth where she arrived on 2 Sep 1861, to pay off.
HMS St George was a 120- gun, 2864 ton first rate ship of the line launched on 27 August 1840 at Plymouth. She was fitted with screw propulsion in 1859, and was sold out of the service in 1883. Over this period she remained at Devonport.
HMS Gladiator (1844) was a 2nd class wooden steam paddle frigate of 1210 tons launched in 1844 at Woolwich and broken up in 1879. On 16 Mar 1864 she was at Devonport and commissioned for Irregular or particular service.
HMS Black Prince was launched on 27 Feb 1861 and was the second Warrior-class battleship. She was the world's second ocean-going ironhulled armoured warship, following her sister ship, HMS Warrior. For a brief period the two ships were the most powerful warships in the world, being vitually impregnable to the naval guns of the time. Rapid advances in naval technology left Black Prince and her sister obsolete within a short time, however, and she spent more time in reserve and training roles than in first-line service. Built at Glasgow, her completion was delayed until September 1862 by a drydock accident during outfitting. Overhauled and rearmed in 1867-68, she became guardship on the River Clyde. The routine of that duty was interrupted in 1869 when she and Warrior towed a large floating drydock from the Azores to Bermuda. Black Price had 36 guns, 6109 tons, screw and sail propulsion and a compliment of 635, and about 680 with a Flag Officer and retinue. Her speed was 13.6 knots. On 1 Jul 1969 she was anchored in Funchal roads waiting for the Bermuda Dock and in 1870 on Coast Guard Service.
HMS Iron Duke was an iron Audacious-class central battery ironclad. Built in 1870 at Pembroke, this was one of the first large ships to use the Suez canal in 1871. On 14 Jan 1871 having made alterations to her ballast and having been re-rigged as a bark, she sailed from Plymouth to trial her engines. On 31 Jan 1871 arrived at Vigo and on 11 Feb 1971 arrived at Lisbon. On 21 Apr 1871 Denis was at Devonport and went to sea with the Vanguard on a 2 month experimental cruise to test the merits of the 2 ships. On 27 April 1871 Denis joined .
HMS Bustard was a third class twin screw gunboat of 245 tons.